Monday, August 30, 2010

Protein Drinks(including Muscle Milk) with heavy metals

Was looking into getting some protein drink mix to take since I'm starting P90x and found this article by Consumer Reports. I'm sure you'll be better off making your own shake/drink every day.
I was just about to order some Muscle Milk but this popped my bubble.
Looks like I need to figure out what I can make that will taste good and be good for me as an energy drink every day.

Here are two quotes from the article:
"We purchased 15 protein powders and drinks mainly in the New York metro area or online and tested multiple samples of each for arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. The results showed a considerable range, but levels in three products were of particular concern because consuming three servings a day could result in daily exposure to arsenic, cadmium, or lead exceeding the limits proposed by USP."

"Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today."

Here is the article.

No comments: